Re: [atlarge-discuss] Is This The Party To Whom I Am Speaking...

Richard, Martha, Jan and Mauro:

I live in the Virgin Islands where the highest paid Senators in the United
States, (possibly in the World) are two at-large groups A group of  seven
are elected for each island district and they are elected by two groups of
approximately 12,000 voters.   less than 3,000 votes can get a candidate
elected and the bullet vote rules!  It is not a pretty sight.

The whole event is a popularity contest based upon which candidate has the
best fish-fries and promises the most benefits to the 13,000 government
workers.

Issues are never discussed, (or dealt with after election day) and the power
to dispense jobs to friends and family, the prestige, the enormous salary
and the lifetime pension are the only motives for running for office.

When a few people are voting for a Panel to be chosen from a large number of
candidates, it takes very few votes to get elected.  The bullet vote, is the
only method available for limiting the possibility of election of a
candidate that you do not want to support.  In other words, vote only for
the candidates that you really want to see elected.

Best regards, Ron