Re: [atlarge-discuss] Membership Committee

I don't personally believe that voting membership of Committees should be
self-selecting, simply by people volunteering. I agree that all members have
a right to participate and contribute, but in order to generate the best
possible reports and proposed policies, I believe the best individuals for
the job should be the ones who actually vote on final reports and
recommendations... this is better achieved by a smaller team, than by 20 or
30 people, some of whom are simply involved because they appoint themselves.

I think it is the task of this organisation to identify the best teams to
carry out the formal aspect of the committees... it shouldn't just be an
open door and anyone walks in with a vote.

Everyone, though, should be allowed to participate in discussion and make
their contributions.

Richard H