RE: [atlarge-discuss] questionnaire

Richard Henderson wrote:

| I believe this has to change. I believe the Poll should become the
| authoritative voice of the Membership, and should have
| constitutional power
| to constrain Panelists, define objectives, veto decisions.

When the Polling Booth is moved to ICANNATLARGE.ORG, and knowledgeable
watchdogs are appointed to watch from within to avoid capture, then I will
agree.  Until then we cannot put our trust in *any* system over which only
one person has control, no matter how benevolent we consider that person to
be, because their successor may be less so!

Further, a Web-based system disenfranchises members whose online experience
is limited to e-mail only. A parallel e-mail system must also be provided.

Also, every member must be notified by e-mail when a poll is scheduled.
Participation should not require the affirmative act of having to visit and
drill down through a Web site on their part in order to vote.

Work these serious issues out and I'm there.

In any event, the only official means we have for voting right now is via
direct e-mail to the membership.   To stand up an alternative voting system
used to drive policy will require a vote of the membership. You and Jop
can't just declare it official and make it so.

Of course, if you get the membership's approval, then that's entirely
different.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon
bruce@barelyadequate.info