Re: [atlarge-discuss] Open real-time panel meetings

Humbly returning one email at a time, I reply:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joop Teernstra" <terastra@terabytz.co.nz>
To: "MPoole" <urgen@charter.net>; <atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 2:52 AM
Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] Open real-time panel meetings

> At 07:57 p.m. 3/06/2003, MPoole wrote:
>
> >The list can continue as it will.  What I am interested in talking
about
> >won't be on the list.  This is probably the position of the majority
of the
> >Internet.  Who or what is this group?
>
> Mark,
>
> the group is you and hundreds of individual internet users like you.
>
> There is no need to be offended .

I acknowledge the sharp tone and apologize.  It is still a genuine
concern.

> IRC is a fine tool.

I do not hope to try to bring measure on any tool open for use on the
Internet now, in the past or future.

> It does not scale for a group of thousands and if 10 members get on at
the
> same time it become pretty intensive.

It may or may not scale.  Thousands in one channel?  No.  10 members
having problems?  We have that already, whether they can work their
differences toward resolution may or may not have anything to do with
the medium.  How many people use IRC?  Multiple Millions.  How many
people still think the "Internet" is their browser?  Even More.

Not everybody can set the time apart
> at 3 a.m to chat for 15 minutes.

Even I can't, at least not often.  I do fairly well with my
international contacts in IRC however.

> I would think that for the Panel  it would be good for some social
> interaction, just so that each one can recognize that his "opponent"
is
> also human.
> It would not be suitable for formal decisions because I don't think we
> could ever get a quorum together on IRC.

The definition of quorum for the Internet Community as a whole has not
been determined.

Thank you for these comments, Joop.

MPoole
urgen