Re: [FYI] The Mouse blasting privacy

Noch ein paar interessante Texte zum Thema...

Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:25:02 -0400
To: ip-sub-1@majordomo.pobox.com
From: Dave Farber <farber@cis.upenn.edu>
Subject: IP: Re:  WHEN people can easily copy anything digital, who's going
    to make $100 million movies?
Sender: owner-ip-sub-1@admin.listbox.com

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 11:05:31 -0500
To: ignition-point@mailbox.by.net
From: believer@telepath.com
Subject: IP: Swashbuckling Anarchists Try to Eliminate Copyrights From
  Cyberspace
Sender: owner-ignition-point@mailbox.by.net

New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/06/biztech/articles/10copyright.html

June 10, 2000

 Swashbuckling Anarchists Try to Eliminate Copyrights From Cyberspace

By EDWARD ROTHSTEIN

 There was some perverse pleasure to be had last month as the heavy metal
band Metallica sued the Web company Napster for copyright infringement.
Here is a band that invokes the hounds of hell and mocks gentility with
shrieking sarcasm, suddenly championing bourgeois values by insisting on
royalty payments. And here are legions of college students supposedly
championing Metallican values -- undermining corporate greed, attacking
propriety -- when what they are really after in downloading songs from
Napster is free music.

 Such is the bad faith of contemporary rebellion. But it doesn't end there.
Napster itself, the creation of a 19-year-old programmer, Shawn Fanning,
has already attracted $15 million in venture capital with its sly appeal to
freeloading music lovers. It claims to be innocent of copyright violation
because all it is really doing is arranging a match between one user who
wants a song and another user who has it.

 Napster might have been less coy and acknowledged that it is actually part
of a movement challenging copyright and intellectual property. Its goals
are shared, for example, by a new program called Freenet, which has been
described by its creator, Ian Clarke, 23, as an example of "near-perfect
anarchy." Freenet will trump Napster, also allowing free, anonymous
distribution of video, software and books. But isn't this stealing? Can't
information be seen as a form of property? Not for Clarke, who says that
idea will soon be considered as ridiculous as witch-burning.

 This challenge to copyright is made possible, of course, by advances in
technological piracy, but it also grows out of a set of ideas that have
been associated with the Internet from its earliest public years. Many
Internet visionaries were inspired by countercultural notions of the Net's
liberatory possibilities. John Perry Barlow, a Grateful Dead lyricist,
later became co-founder of the influential Electronic Frontier Foundation,
an organization dedicated to preserving the Internet's libertarian terrain.
He has argued that familiar notions of intellectual property become "towers
of outmoded boilerplate" when applied to online information.

 Stewart Brand, a creator of The Whole Earth Catalog, went on to found the
WELL -- Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link -- in which veterans of a California
commune helped build one of the first online communities. Brand famously
declared, "Information wants to be free," a mantra that has become a
rallying cry for copyright challenges.

 This romantic vision sees cyberspace as a realm fundamentally different
from ordinary life. And it has become increasingly difficult to separate
this belief from important political, technological and ideological debates
over copyright, privacy and security. There is a hint of its influence, for
example, in the Web pages of the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at
Harvard University (http://cyber.law.harvard.edu), which argue that the
Internet should foster "open governance" and collaborative, public-domain
"open" software. It has proposed that a counter-copyright sign, (cc), be
used by authors willing to reject copyright.

 The most important intellectual defense of these views has been made by
Lawrence Lessig, a fellow of the Berkman Center and professor at Harvard
Law School. His recent book, "Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace" (Basic
Books) includes a closely argued brief for protecting the freedoms of
"original cyberspace" from the constraints imposed by commerce or
copyright. Far from being at risk, Lessig argues, copyright is "protected
far too well." In fact, he says, it is "more effectively protected than at
any time since Gutenberg."

 Lessig's concern is about software code that will protect copyrights by
rigidly metering usage and limiting access. The danger, he suggests, is the
shrinking of the "public commons," a realm in which intellectual work
becomes part of a culture's shared heritage. Lessig argues that copyright
law should itself be limited when applied to cyberspace.

 How, though, is cultural commerce to thrive? The publishing and recording
industries must be drastically recast to account for digital copying and
distribution. And even Lessig acknowledges that "some intellectual property
rights" are needed as an incentive to creators. This means that some form
of technological control is also required.

 But it is not necessary to imagine that everything will be controlled any
more than it is possible to envision that nothing will be. If privacy and
security can be protected, there will be a wide range of economic
arrangements, just as there are now. Some cultural products will be
publicly available. Some will be available only through subscription
payments. And some will be available in the familiar pay-per-view or rental
form that Lessig finds so disturbing in cyberspace.

 None of this means the constriction of the public commons. Cyberspace will
be just as fraught with complex mixtures of controls and liberties as real
space. Lessig may find the prospects so grim because his fears and hopes
are largely based on an idealized vision of "freedoms that were
foundational" in the origins of the Internet.

 That was a time (just over five years ago) when the Internet was public in
concept but limited in its scope. There was no commerce or banking, little
need to worry over security or privacy, minimal threat of mass piracy or
viral sabotage. Lessig treats that exceptional era as the model for
aspiration. In comparison, what reality won't seem threatening?

 A world without a public commons, though, will not come about from
copyright protection but from the opposite. Information doesn't want to be
free; only the transmission of information wants to be free. Information,
like culture, is the result of labor and devotion, investment and risk; it
has a value. And nothing will lead to a more deafening cultural silence
than ignoring that value and celebrating the "near-perfect anarchy" of
Freenet and Napster running amok.

with the message:
     (un)subscribe ignition-point email@address