[FYI] U.S.: Rep. Ed Markey says "I think there could be a very strong case made for a universal rating system for everything bu

http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,38913,00.html

------------------------------ CUT --------------------------------

House Dem Into Ratings Regs
by Declan McCullagh

3:00 a.m. Sep. 22, 2000 PDT

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Ed Markey doesn't just hope the Democrats will
seize control of the U.S. House of Representatives. He's certain of
it.

"I'm only six weeks away from being chairman again," grins Markey,
the ranking Democrat on the House telecommunications subcommittee.
The panel oversees Internet and consumer privacy issues.

If the Republicans lose their House majority, the partisan shift
toward the left is likely to mean more regulation of technology and
corporations. And Markey, a 24-year veteran legislator from
Massachusetts, already knows just what he wants to do.

"I think there could be a very strong case made for a universal
rating system for everything but television," Markey said at a Media
Institute luncheon this week.

As for TV, Markey said, the existing rating system should be
expanded.

"Every person in this room knows there's a relationship between what
kids see on television and what they do," he said. "You can't on the
one hand say we're going to have this great digital revolution ...
and at the same time we can't give parents the ability to program
their set."

A recent poll by USA Today/CNN/Gallup suggests the race for the House
will be an unusually close one this year. The GOP currently holds a
13-seat majority, which means that just seven congressional districts
hold the balance of power.

Subcommittee chairmen, who are appointed by the House leadership, are
powerful creatures. They can convene hearings on controversial
topics, forward bills to the House floor for a vote, and block
legislation with which they disagree.

[...]