[FYI] EFF's Gilmore calls for CPRM hardware boycott

----------------------------- CUT ----------------------------------

EFF's Gilmore calls for CPRM hardware boycott

By: Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco

John Gilmore, co-founder of the Electronic Freedom Foundation, has
urged users to boycott hardware containing CPRM copy-control
mechanisms. Last week we broke a story of moves to build CPRM
(Copyright Protection for Recordable Media) cryptography into the
industry standard ATA hard disk specification. If implemented, the
initiative could rapidly end the use of the PC and new emerging
devices for freely exchanging audio, video and information.

Users, says Gilmore, should demand a policy declaration from vendors
that they eschew "covertly controlled hardware", and only buy
products that are truly open, he argues in a post to the C2 crypto
mailing list.

"No copy protection should exist ANYWHERE in generic computer
hardware! It's up to the BUYER to determine what to use their product
for," writes Gilmore. "It's not up to the vendors of generic
hardware, and certainly not up to a record company that's shadily
influencing those vendors in back-room meetings."

Gilmore says moves are also taking place to build copy-control into
monitors ... BIOSes and the operating systems. Some of these we've
heard of but, not all - but if you have then get in touch.

[...]