microsoft nt 4.0

Kann mir jemand erklären, was es damit auf sich hat?

Boris.

Topic 696 [eff]:  Microsoft's "STAGE.DAT" Clone (?)
#45 of 45: Bruce Sterling (bruces)      Sat Jul 20 '96 (15:12)    68 lines

now what *8-/

To: Journalists & Analysts
From: Ellen Elias, Software Publicist, O'Reilly & Associates

Below you will read an alert written by Tim O'Reilly, President of
O'Reilly & Associates. If you would like to speak with Tim or another
O'Reilly executive about the issues raised in this alert, please
contact me.

Thank you,
Ellen Elias
elias@ora.com
(707)829-0515 ext. 322

You may have already heard that in Microsoft's upcoming NT Workstation
4.0, functionality will be significantly reduced. If you want to run
*any* Web server--O'Reilly's, Microsoft's, or others'--on NT, you'll
have to buy NT Server for $999.  The implications of Microsoft's
actions are serious for the Web community, and I encourage you to help
spread the word about it.

First, the facts: NT Workstation 4.0 will limit the number of unique IP
addresses which can contact a Web server to 10 or fewer in a 10-minute
period.  No previous version of NT Workstation has contained this
limitation. Of course, this effectively eliminates NT Workstation as an
option for Internet or Intranet Web server usage.

Now, the implications: this development will choke off one of the most
important new directions for the Web: its return to its roots as a
groupware information sharing system for the desktop. Like email and
the PC itself, Web publishing belongs on the desktop. With the higher
price tag of NT Server ($999 vs. $290), users who have never before put
up a web site will be extremely unlikely to do so.

This move by Microsoft will hurt the efforts of Web developers,
Intranet developers, and Internet service providers, a great many of
whom have been happy to create sites on NT Workstation. Microsoft has
been saying that IIS (the Web server they include with NT Server) is
free, and quite clearly, this is now exposed as untrue. Developers will
have to stick with the older NT Workstation operating system if they
want to use any server other than IIS (noted for its security
problems), or will have to upgrade and pay extra for the server of
their choice.

Chief WebSite developer Bob Denny says: "When I first started
developing Web servers in 1994, nearly all Web serving was done on the
Unix platform. Considering that companies such as O'Reilly &
Associates, Netscape, and a half dozen more, pushed hard in the fight
to legitimize NT vs. Unix as a Web server platform over the last 18
months, Microsoft's actions are pretty extreme."

I've sent email to Bill Gates to let him know of my personal concern
about the impact of his plans on Web users and developers. I encourage
anyone interested  in maintaining the open systems nature of the Web to
send email to Microsoft, post this news on their sites and in
newsgroups, and write letters to editors, to put pressure on Microsoft
to reverse their decision. They've reversed such decisions before, when
people have expressed their opinions about an important issue such as
this.

Regards,
Tim O'Reilly
President