Fwd: <nettime> MAY WE HAVE YOUR BANDWIDTH PLEASE?

---------------- Begin Forwarded Message ----------------
Date:        07.04  21:22
From:        Marleen Stikker, stikker@waag.org
To:          nettime-l@Desk.nl

OPROEP - AUFRUF - CALL

CONTRIBUTIONS FOR: WE WANT BANDWIDTH !
@ HYBRID WORKSPACE DOCUMENTA X, KASSEL, GERMANY
FROM 8 TO 17 JULY 1997

In the coming ten days the Society for Old and New Media will put the issue
of Bandwidth up for a close examination. During this public research you
can visit us, both on site and on-line. Please send us all your Bandwidth
reports. We will broadcast your reports and comments in the Hybrid
Workspace at the Documenta. Come and join our discussion in the news groups
at the Workspace sites. (WWW.DOCUMENTA.DE/WORKSPACE &
WWW.WAAG.ORG/BANDWIDTH). You can also participate in the regularly
organised debates, off-line in Kassel.

We are interested in all your comments:
+ Personal Statements
+ The price and quality of your bandwidth
+ Research on the ownership of bandwidth
+ Manifesto's
+ URL's
+ Mapping of power
+ Conspiracy Theories

THE PUSH FOR BANDWIDTH ?!@

In the networked society the kind of bandwidth of your connection will
determine whether you're in the game or out. It's not just about being
flushed by the data-pipes, it's about setting your own trash against the
data-stream. It's about the vision of wired citizens as passive consumers
of virtual corporate waste, versus the active prosumer, the critical
consumer and producer of digitised content.
There are still a lot of questions to be resolved. First of all, who will
own the backbones of the digital freeways of the  mind, and will we have
enough space to cast our own content on its tracks? What effect will the
virtual monopolies have on the equal share in the data drive for everyone
who cares enough to bother about it.
On the other hand we might be just a reactionary phantom from a
technologically outdated past, and soon we might be flooded by bit bearing
media. So what are we going to do with unlimited bandwidth?
Is the fetish phantasy of full feed, full speed communication just another
screen on which to project the utopia of an universal understanding between
people? If everybody is a broadcaster, who will shut up and listen?

HOW TO CONTACT US

DE WAAG / SOCIETY FOR OLD AND NEW MEDIA  @
DOCUMENTA X, ORANGERIE WORKSPACE
Marleen(@waag.org) Stikker / Mieke(@vpro.nl) Gerritzen
Eric(@media-gn.nl) Kluitenberg / Michaël(mieg@factory.org) van Eeden
Geert(@xs4all.nl) Lovink / Yariv Alterfin(@xs4all.nl)
Jan(@waag.org) van den Berg

EMAIL:  bandwidth@waag.org
LOCATION: Orangerie, An der Karlsaue 20c / 34117 Kassel, Germany
PHONE: +49 - 561 - 108890
FAX: + 49 - 561 - 108891