Re: Elections/Endorsements

Hallo,
On Sat, 12 Aug 2000 18:44:19 +0200 (MEST), you wrote:
> For the moment I would like to suggest that we try to reduce the number of
> European candidates. There are too many. Nobody will end up on the ballot,
> if endorsements are distributed among so many candidates.

Is there a way to see ICANN membership counts so we can approximate the
count of endorsements that is needed to end up on the ballot?

Also, if the number of nominees who get beyond 2% or 20 votes (I guess 2%
is the relevant number here) goes above the two available places, will
ICANN resolve it in the manner one would anticipate (candidates with most
endorsements go in)?

> * Users should not be represented on ICANN's board by a Telecom executive
> or an official of a registry, ISP and the like.

While I think your other ideas worth pursuing, I think we will have a
problem here. ICANN directors will have to decide technical problems that
require a certain knowledge of the way the internet works today. Most
people who actually understand the complex background processes going on
in the net (routing issues come to my mind) will be somehow associated
with an ISP or a similar service simply because you never get to
practically toy with such problems if you don't run a major network
connection.

ciao,
--
Thomas Themel      |
Hauptplatz 8/4     |  Petition for a Software Patent Free Europe