[ICANN-EU] Re: Questions to the candidates

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Thomas Roessler wrote:

> To get the discussion running, here are some questions to the
> candidates, in addition to the ones Alexander has already asked.
>
> I'm trying to address points which may be important for voters when
> trying to decide whom to endorse, and whom not to endorse for the
> ballot.  Basically, these are the questions I found unanswered
> myself on the ICANN web site.
>
> - You are asking for a nomination for the At Large Elections.  Thus,
>   you are most likely claiming that you want to speak up for At
>   Large Members', that is netizens', interests in the ICANN Board of
>   Directors in some way.
>
>   What are, in your belief, these interests, as far as ICANN's field
>   of activity is affected?

In short: Freedom of speech, checking the IP/TM lobby. Therefore a review
of the UDRP. As users we do not want the internet to be turned into one
huge billboard with advertisements for multinationals. There is room for
commerce. There must also remain room for other information. Without
interference.

> - Do you believe there are specific European or national interests
>   to be protected at ICANN?  Please try to define these interests,
>   and tell us what you think about them.

There may be matters of language. As why are we all using English here? I
would be able to answer in German e.g. These are not, in my opinion,
topics for ICANN.

> - ICANN doesn't pay your bills.  Could you elaborate a bit on your
>   funding, and how this does (or does not) affect your independence
>   from outside influence?

I expect ICANN to pay for my travel expenses. Every body of the like of
ICANN does that. I do not expect any salery or remuneration. I am mainly
selfemployed. I see no problems.
It would be the ultimate sign of ICANN's undemocratic character if it
expected board members to find funding for travel expenses elsewhere. That
would create a strong dependence of an elected board member upon those who
provide these funds, whether it be employers or others. This would be
unacceptable in any democratic institution.
I would participate in the meetings by webcast only if there is no
reimbursement of travel expenses for board members.

--
Marc Schneiders ------- Venster - http://www.venster.nl
 marc@venster.nl - marc@bijt.net - marc@schneiders.org