[ICANN-EU] Re: questions for candidates

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 03:32:14PM +0000, Thomas Themel <thomas@themel.com> wrote:
> > no one has come up with a universal definition of 'domain use' and until
> > this is done I think the
>
> And while we are at it: "domain use" could be defined as proportional to
> the amount of traffic it generates (e.g. mail, http...), which would in
> turn be proportional to the number of dns queries which in turn could be
> measured.
>
> There is a rather large gap between "amount of traffic" and "number of
> dns requests for the tld/sld", but maybe this would be a start (now, this
> could be abused as well, given enough finesse on the side of, say, domain
> resellers).
>
> Now, if there *were* a reliable tool to measure domain usage, could that
> influence the way conflicts could be resolved (domain not "in use" =>
> revoke it)?
>
> Personally (ah... this is a compaign) I'd like to pursue this direction
> (conflict resolution by dmain usage) as far as possible.

This will lead to a situation were any big company can steal any domain
from, say, a family using it for email addresses. Or from a little
non-profit organization. Obviously the big company will generate more
traffic.
This is absolutely unfair.

Fortunately it is an idea that is impossible to put into practice. Just
the costs to operate it would be inhibitory.
--
Marc Schneiders ------- Venster - http://www.venster.nl
 marc@venster.nl - marc@bijt.net - marc@schneiders.org