[ICANN-EU] Re: questions for candidates

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 07:26:51PM +0200, Marc Schneiders <marc@venster.nl> wrote:
> > Personally (ah... this is a compaign) I'd like to pursue this direction
> > (conflict resolution by dmain usage) as far as possible.
>
> This will lead to a situation were any big company can steal any domain
> from, say, a family using it for email addresses.

Could you explain how this would be possible? If the family is not using
the domain for e-mail, what's the point in holding it for them?

> Or from a little non-profit organization. Obviously the big company will
> generate more traffic.

Obviously, a big company cannot make more traffic on a domain it doesn't
own than the owner itself (think about it!).

The point was finding out the "in-use" status. You seem to think that this
is about _comparing_ traffic, but that makes no sense: what would you
compare with what??

> Fortunately it is an idea that is impossible to put into practice. Just
> the costs to operate it would be inhibitory.

Why? DNS service is relatively low-volume, and accounting is done at
relatively few centralised machines.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|