[ICANN-EU] Re: affordable access

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 07:27:08PM +0200, Andreas Fügner <Andreas.Fuegner@lizenz.com> wrote:
> ICANN could promote the development of ISPs in areas without or without
> enough.

Hmm... I think this is *far* outside the actual work of ICANN. I still
have no idea on what instruments you would want to use for that purpose
(hand out TLD's or ip address space or port numbers or... to african
countries??)

> Whenever ICANN members decide on new standards they should have those
> issues in mind.

Indeed, but isn't there a large difference between supporting standards
that are open and easy to use and promoting development of ISP's?

> ICANN has limited recourses. How come the members do not provide a
> communication budget to promote the internet?

Who will pay these budgets? You see, this is my basic problem with that
approach of making ICANN more than it is ;)

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|