Re: [icann-candidates] Re: [ICANN-EU] Don't waste your endorsement vote

coach wrote:

> Hi,
> I could not find any comments about the period the later elected directors
> were elected. Is it for 1 year, or life-long? I believe that for a
> democratic election the duration must be specified. If none is specified,
> the European members e.g. can come together at any time and de-elect the
> director if he is not working in the sensus the majority wants him or her to
> work. Has anybody an comment on that?
> Greetings
> Roland Portig

Hi, I made a comment about that (last Friday, icann-europe@fitug.de): I
think the At Large directors should subject themselves to a
"constructive distrust vote", like we have in Germany. Technical
modalities on how to do that to be figured out etc...  This would be, in
contradiction to it's rather ugly name, quite a good legitimation for
the At Large Director(s): they can, under certain cirumstances (2/3
majority of votes for "distrust", and agree with alternative candidate)
loose their mandate. It's the At Large community which gives the
mandate, so this community can take it away as well. The converse of the
distrust vote is the interesting bit: as long as there is not such a
vote, the director has the legitimation of "two thirds not against him".
That's more than any of the other directors have, do they ? In fact, it
can be the definition of the legitimation. The 2/3 is a number, and can
be discussed, of course, but it should not be too low in order to keep
the elected directors for a while, and give them a chance to survive
also needed but unpopular decisions (happens in politics ;-< ) . The
alternative candidate has to be figured out in such a case as well, but
we'll just use our computers in an intelligent way for that ..  ;-)

BTW, this could be an interesting market gap for small e-business:
e-vote site service, with all security features.

Michael Ludwig