Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: European At Large Council

Lutz wrote:
> * Griffini Giorgio wrote:
> > I still prefer the 'positive' consensus method (raising hand or say an
> > explicit "Yes,I agree" on a list) because it is more transparent and safe
> > and also I have also in other places seen 'non-dissenting opinion' method
> > applied in a completely unfair manner.
>
> I've worked with both methods. A larger list requires the default 'Yes, I
> commit', despite a small list with a limited number of members. Both methods
> work fine, but the latter one provides a stronger consensus.

Uhmm.
Would you mean that the result depends on the way we measure it ?
Tha main problem is that 'rough consensus' is more than majority and
generally seen as a 2/3 of agreements. Using the 'non dissenting method'
one should keep in mind that the amount of dissenting opinions should just
need to reach 1/3  of total voices to make a decision not being considered as
'rough consensus'.
Also it seem to me that is more appropriate, in sake of stability and if a
decision implies a change, to put the load to prove that such decision is
good on the party which is proposing the change and not to be loaded on the
party who (by dissenting) would like to keep the status quo.
If both ways are handled fairly I have no problems using one or the other but
IMHO the 'non dissenting' one leaves more doors open to mistakes or to
people who likes to play a little bit dirty.

Best regards
Giorgio Griffini