Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: [icann-candidates] Re: [ga] bodacious-tata[s].NET

* Marc Schneiders wrote:
>On 4 Sep 2000, Lutz Donnerhacke wrote:
>> * Joop Teernstra wrote:
>> >When more restrictively oriented cultures realize that blocking access to
>> >such sites doesn't work, they will demand their own policing rights, to
>> >"take down" such domains under the ICANN flag.
>>
>> Yep. That's bad. It's necessary to teach the political leaders in such
>> a case.
>
>Does this mean that you, if you would be on the Board, would *never* led
>this (taking down domains because some want them cesored) happen?

As far as possible: Yes.

>Teaching does not necessarily involve saying "No" to the persons one is
>teaching... In this case I think it should include a firm "NO".

I had some discussions with political leaders about such questions and I
usually say more than I type. Andy surely was and is involved in the same
discussions. I do not hesitate to use clear words and provide examples by
creating a similar situation. (see www.spd.de -> Chat with Herta
Deubler-Gmelin)

It is possible to provide leaders with arguments sufficient to prevent
further sensless actions. Despite it is not easy, it has to be done.

>> >When regionally elected directors will be questioned on their stance on
>> >Freedom of Speech, we are going to see some surprises.
>>
>> Sure? The same goals are achieved by different approaches. Last monday a
>> privacy meeting took place in Kiel, Germany. We concluded in one workshop
>> that the American 'Freedom of Speech' requires the very similar mechanisms
>> and laws as the German 'Datenschutz'.
>
>I think the question was about cultures which share less common ground
>than the American and German. Some Asian countries, e.g., are more of a
>concern where Freedom of Speech is concerned.

Sorry for this example. In the AUM case (we provided mirrors for cencored
sites) I learned a lot about the Asian culture. But I believe it is possible
to find compromises on the topics as required. I do not know how and when,
but I'm sure the differences are not as deep as expected.