[ICANN-EU] Re: The Key Questions for Jeanette Hoffmann

At 18:55 5/09/00 +0100, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

>> >Indeed, I needed this time. Frankly, I am still not sure about the best
>> > answer to this question.
>>
>> Dear Jeanette,
>>
>> I don't think you need to look for  a "best answer". There is only
>> *your* answer.
>
>Sorry, Joop, this may be your way to look at answers. I do indeed
>strive for what I'd regard as the best answer under given
>circumstances. This implies that I change my opinion occasionally. At
>the risk of being trivial: I see myself as a constant learner. In fact, to
>question "my own answers" is the finest part of my job. I function well
>in environments where I am allowed to learn, where, actually,
>everybody enjoys the freedom to change his or her mind without
>being immediately condemned as opportunist or traitor. It's called
>open discourse, and I will do a lot to get its principles established
>within the european at large membership. ---- end of manifesto! ;-)

Dear Jeanette,

Thanks for being so responsive.
If you can succeed bringing open discourse to the Board, you will deserve
accolades.
If you cannot, then your biggest learning experience will be to adapt to a
politically charged environment of well remunerated mouthpieces, a few
independent spirits and , indeed, opportunists.

For the moment, as a voter, I  must still see the election of a European @L
director as a matter of representation, not as a quest for "best answers".
The (best) answers will be compromises. They must come later. What matters
at this moment is *positions*.

<snip>
 Besides, I'd  wish to get
>endorsed for a distinctive approach to issues surrounding ICANN
>rather than for concrete answers to single questions. By approach I
>mean: How do I handle controversial issues both intellectually and
>practically.

That would be ideal. But how can you demonstrate your approach (other than
being  responsive  in fora such as these)  in the short time that rests us
before this first election?

Statements of position are the short answer. They show that you have
thought about issues. And responses to challenges get you closer to
demonstrating your approach.
This is a new political environment where the voters are empowered,  but
where you cannot easily distinguish between serious "concerned netizens"
and bozo's with too much time on their hands. (the frustration of every
mailing listowner)

<snip>

>> Every Board candidate at this moment should have a vision for what
>> should be done with ICANN's most intractable problem, the DNSO.
>
>I share Roberto's position. It is the DNSO's job to get itself
>(re)organized. The board's role should be limited to making sure that
>the name council sticks to its rules.

Thanks for stating it clearly.
I have argued my reservations to that position in principle (why should a
slanted NC have the power to co-opt or refuse new members) and also on
formal grounds (the ICANN Bylaws give the power to recognize further
constituencies the Board).

But who knows we won't see another Bylaw rewrite, before this is all over.
If the GA of the DNSO becomes a representative body to which the NC is
accountable, then the picture becomes different and I too might change my
position.

--Joop--
www.idno.org