Re: [icann-europe] .kids or .kids.us?

On 5 Jul 2001, at 0:35, Marc Schneiders wrote:

> > >It is no problem to switch to an other DNS-Root, as shown by all
> > >those independant guys, they are still able to resolve all that
> > >"USA-can" Domains they want to be able to, plus their own ones.
> >
> > Except for the enormous incredible inertia brought in by all those
> > machines which are configured to use the current root.
> >
> > Face it: The only way to get "the internet" to turn away from the
> > current set of root servers is to shut them down.
>
> If I may say so, in the spirit of the original Europa story, you
> referred to earlier: this is Bull sh*t. Most people resolve over their
> ISP's nameservers. If these (or a substantial number of them) change,
> then something happens. New.NET understands this.

I think the problem is less of a technical but of an administrative or political nature. You
don't need the USG or ICANN to watch over the root. However, you need a body that
prevents collisions. I don't find New.NET's market based approach really convincing.
Where is the model, where is the charter that would constitute such a coordinative
body? And how could such a charter rule out that the new body wouldn't end up in
ICANN version 2?

jeanette