Re: [icann-europe] .kids or .kids.us?

Thomas Roessler wrote:

>On 2001-07-04 16:28:36 +0200, Volker Leib wrote:
>
>>what do European ICANN members think about the plan of two
>>Congressmen to pass a bill that would force ICANN to introduce the
>>gTLD .kids? In my opinion, a national parliament can only
>>legislate a domain within their ccTLD, in this case .kids.us.
>>(Just logically, I know that the rules for registrations in .us
>>would have to be changed and that some politicians in the US do
>>not recognize the international perspective and view ICANN as an
>>American organization.)
>
>It's a nice confirmation of just about all the prejudices a European
>could possibly have about American legislators, isn't it?

May I remind that an alternative considered viable by the Commission was to
create an ad-hoc intergovernmental body.
The idea aborted because of the opposition of the US.

If anybody had any doubt about why the US were against, he/she now has the
answer.

This said, I agree with who (Wolfgang, if I remember correctly) said that we
are talking theory here, because Congress will never pass the bill.
My interpretation of the position of US Government is that they want to
avoid too strong contraposition with other countries, to avoid that somebody
takes back the international treaty proposal from the drawer where it is
dormant.
ICANN has received the message anyhow, and will approve .kids "obtorto
collo" at the next occasion. Moreover, in this way ICANN will remain the
sole responsible of the delegation of .kids (a decision that BTW I consider
silly, because it implies that the delegated Registry should police the
contents of the Websites worldwide).

Regards
Roberto