Re: [icann-europe] Re: .kids or .kids.us?

Mike and all,

  Well you have your opinion Mike.  Others have theirs.  It seems that
a growing number of US citizens and a small number of Europeans
are supporting this legislation in the US (H.R. 2417)....  The reasons
you quote below are so preposterous as to be outright silly in some
circles...

Mike Roberts wrote:

> Wolfgang, Roberto and others have rightly characterized this as one
> of those "lubricated with contributions" notions in a US Congress
> that is struggling hard to enact its first serious limits on campaign
> contributions.
>
> But let's not forget that this is a genuinely bad idea to start with,
> whether put forward in America, Europe or Asia.  See just some of the
> arguments against in article below.
>
> - Mike
>
> -----------------
> C O M P U T E R G R A M   I N T E R N A T I O N A L
>
> THE DAILY NEWSPAPER FOR DATA PROCESSING, COMMUNICATIONS
> AND MICROELECTRONICS PROFESSIONALS AND INVESTORS
> Copyright (c) 2001 ComputerWire Inc
>
> + Congressmen Propose Kids-Friendly Internet Domain
>
> By Kevin Murphy
>
> <snip>
>
> ICANN rejected four sets of applications to operate a .kids
> domain when it approved seven new TLDs last November. Reasons
> for the rejections were many - that defining a "kid"
> internationally is virtually impossible due to different social
> and legal standards, that it set the precedent of using the DNS
> to classify content, and that the policies required were just
> too complex to introduce in the first "test-bed" wave of new
> TLDs.
>
> <snip>
> --
>
> --

Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827