Re: [icann-europe] Re: .kids or .kids.us?

I think you have to look at the proposal from Congress within the context
of US politics. Because of the way their Supreme Court can rule law
unconstitutional, the legislators have got into the habit of passing
unworkable and unconstitutional legislation every time there is a public
outcry about anything. They rely on the supreme court to strike it down,
and then they can turn to their constituents and say 'We passed this
legislation to deal with the problem, but...'.

The main consequence of this is that in the US legislators no longer have
to take responsibility for the consequences of the legislation they pass,
so they have got into the habit of not bothering about it's workability or
otherwise.

In this case matters are compounded by the peculiar attitude of Americans
that having had kids they have done their bit and the rest is up to the
state. So they want laws to protect their kids instead supervising them
properly!

Obviously the Supreme Court won't bail them out of this one, but the habit
dies hard :)

alan