Re: [icann-europe] Re: .kids or .kids.us?

Alan and all,

  The Bill H.R. 2417, if you have read it closely and completely, is not
about parents and how the manage their children.  Nor is it about
how the US Governs through it's legislature entirely.  It is about the
congressional branch of our government deciding it needs to play
a role in getting the ICANN BoD and staff under some reasonable
control and finding that the out of hand (10 min. consideration in MDR)
for the .KIDS proposal(s) as a chartered TLD.

Alan Lenton wrote:

> I think you have to look at the proposal from Congress within the context
> of US politics. Because of the way their Supreme Court can rule law
> unconstitutional, the legislators have got into the habit of passing
> unworkable and unconstitutional legislation every time there is a public
> outcry about anything. They rely on the supreme court to strike it down,
> and then they can turn to their constituents and say 'We passed this
> legislation to deal with the problem, but...'.
>
> The main consequence of this is that in the US legislators no longer have
> to take responsibility for the consequences of the legislation they pass,
> so they have got into the habit of not bothering about it's workability or
> otherwise.
>
> In this case matters are compounded by the peculiar attitude of Americans
> that having had kids they have done their bit and the rest is up to the
> state. So they want laws to protect their kids instead supervising them
> properly!
>
> Obviously the Supreme Court won't bail them out of this one, but the habit
> dies hard :)
>
> alan
>
> --

Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827