RE: [icann-europe] .kids or .kids.us?

Careful, there are still a few Mithra worshippers out there, somewhere.

> >Most people resolve over their ISP's nameservers. If these (or a
> >substantial number of them) change, then something happens.
> >New.NET understands this.
>
> And what about all those ill-managed name servers which pop up on
> the net almost daily?  Don't underestimate the amount of neglected
> default bind installations which just hum along, and aren't even
> looked at before someone breaks into them.

You miss the point, the entry criteria is not at 100%. If it even gets as
large as 10% then ICANN has lost. Much of their activity is predicated on
monopoly power. You have to look at what makes ICANN as effective as it is.
The only lever that they have is monopolistic control. The only reason that
they haven't been taken to court for it is because the USG holds back the
DOJ, with the MoU that DOC signed with ICANN. As long as ICANN follows the
letter of that MoU [close enough that the DOC can still claim them] then
they have the USG imprimatur and they will retain their anti-trust immunity.
The MoU acts very much like a "letter of marque".

Basic econ breaks monopolies at around 15% market share. If New.Net can get
that much share then ICANN will have lost the power of the monopoly.
Consider that ICANN, a small California non-profit corporation (beholden
only to the California State AG), has no proprietary control, has no
regulatory powers [on its own], has no authority that is not lent to it by
the USG, controls an immensely potent force in our political and economic
universe. The ONLY mechanism it has is that of the monopoly. Break that and
there is no more control of the Internet. Also, if ICANN loses their
monopoly position then what do you think the chances are of them also losing
their DOC MoU? NewNet is a larger threat to ICANN than you think.

If, in addition, the EU decides to operate their own root-zone service,
including EU when ICANN wont, then ICANN power will be broken in Europa. We
will then have three major players; ICANN, NewNet, and EU. From my
perspective, this is not such a terrible circumstance. I would rather see
that than what I've been witnessing the past few years. Maybe then, ICANN
will be cured of its Delusions of Grandure. That would not be a bad thing.