Re: [icann-europe] .kids or .kids.us?

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001 07:24:23 -0700 , you wrote:

>If, in addition, the EU decides to operate their own root-zone service,
>including EU when ICANN wont, then ICANN power will be broken in Europa. We
>will then have three major players; ICANN, NewNet, and EU. From my
>perspective, this is not such a terrible circumstance.

To me, all this discussion makes just one thing evident: ICANN will never be
able to maintain its "monopoly" (if you wish to call it like this - from a
certain point of view, any Parliament is a "monopoly" :-) ) unless it can
affirm itself as the main fair point of representation of all Internet
communities and users in the world. It is absolutely astonishing to me that
ICANN Directors, rather than understanding this and trying to gain as much
openness and representativeness as possible, try to restrict their founding
basis to US DoC plus a narrow set of current TLD and technical resource
managers - as this is the very point that makes competing initiatives such
as new.net legitimate.

I personally agree that, if ICANN cannot be a representative body, the end
of the story you mentioned is perhaps the best one. I would rather have my
DNS governed by the European Union than by a closed and elitaire body
strictly connected to the US government and a set of big commercial domain
businesses. I would even put my effort to make this happen.

So I guess that we still have to wait for the end of the At Large Study. If
it ends up in a reduction of the weight of the At Large membership, I guess
that many of us who put our effort in ICANN At Large should and will shift
to making ICANN lose its power, at least in Europe. And even if we didn't do
it, the market or the governments would.
--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
Vittorio Bertola     <vb@vitaminic.net>    Ph. +39 011 23381220

DISCLAIMER, PLEASE NOTE: This communication is intended only for use by the
addressee. It may contain confidential or privileged information.
Transmission, distribution and/or copy cannot be permitted. Please notify
immediately the sender by replying if you are not the intended recipient.