[icann-europe] Re:.kids or .kids.us?

At 17:53 +0200 7/8/01, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

>I personally agree that, if ICANN cannot be a representative body, the end
>of the story you mentioned is perhaps the best one. I would rather have my
>DNS governed by the European Union than by a closed and elitaire body
>strictly connected to the US government and a set of big commercial domain
>businesses. I would even put my effort to make this happen.

There is a difference between the representativeness of a given set
of Directors and the perception of fairness of the method by which
they gained office.  There are presently six European ICANN Directors
- an academic from Spain, a government researcher from Netherlands, a
corporate researcher from Germany, a telecom executive from
Netherlands, a journalist from Germany, and a standards executive
from the UK.  How likely is it, taking your suggestion that the EU
select the group, that the range of backgrounds and nationalities
would be significantly different from that which exists today?

With regard to how the Directors got on the Board, four of them came
through selection mechanisms within the three ICANN Supporting
Organizations, one came through the recent pan-European At Large
election, and one is from the initial appointed set of Directors.
Leaving aside the issue of the debate over the initial Directors, how
would you change this process to improve the representativeness of
the other five European Directors in reflecting your views and
concerns?

- Mike