Re: [icann-europe] Re:.kids or .kids.us?

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 11:54:18 -0700, you wrote:

>With regard to how the Directors got on the Board, four of them came
>through selection mechanisms within the three ICANN Supporting
>Organizations, one came through the recent pan-European At Large
>election, and one is from the initial appointed set of Directors.
>Leaving aside the issue of the debate over the initial Directors, how
>would you change this process to improve the representativeness of
>the other five European Directors in reflecting your views and
>concerns?

I don't share your approach. We are here to build a system of powers and
guarantees that should be able to carry the task from now forever on.
History tells that the bad systems that are created by good persons at their
top, and are good only due to their enlightened presence, usually turn bad
as soon as they leave the office. So I think that the quality of the current
board members must not influence us in changing the current system if we
don't trust it.

Anyway, frankly speaking, I don't really care about how many European or US
directors are in the Board. I only care about how many of them are there to
serve in good faith the general public interest of the world, and how many
of them are there to serve personal or lobby interests. And I, as a citizen,
require that the system is built so that the highest number of skilled,
competent, but also free, equilibrate, fair and open minded persons are
elected in the Board. I am confident enough in the qualities of the Internet
community to think that a worldwide general election would be a good way to
raise that number, and to in turn involve and make aware every single person
of his own right and duty to care about the future of the net and about the
people that will determine it.

To be clear, I'd prefer that my root DNS servers are ruled by the EU, rather
than by the US, because being an EU citizen I think I can somewhat affect
EU's policy, while I can't do the same with the US. But anyway, a worldwide
non-profit and non-governative organization managed by people selected
through a direct bottom-up mechanism would be much, much better than any of
the two possibilities. So the original At Large mechanism wasn't that bad at
all, if only ICANN had tried to make it work.
--
.oRo.oTo.oFo.oMo vb.
Vittorio Bertola     <vb@vitaminic.net>    Ph. +39 011 23381220

DISCLAIMER, PLEASE NOTE: This communication is intended only for use by the
addressee. It may contain confidential or privileged information.
Transmission, distribution and/or copy cannot be permitted. Please notify
immediately the sender by replying if you are not the intended recipient.