Re: [icann-europe] Re:.kids or .kids.us?

> To be clear, I'd prefer that my root DNS servers are ruled by the EU,
rather
> than by the US, because being an EU citizen I think I can somewhat affect
> EU's policy, while I can't do the same with the US. But anyway, a
worldwide
> non-profit and non-governative organization managed by people selected
> through a direct bottom-up mechanism would be much, much better than any
of
> the two possibilities. So the original At Large mechanism wasn't that bad
at
> all, if only ICANN had tried to make it work.

Dear Vittorio,

this is a good reminder with regard to ICANNs original vision: "Lets find a
consensus among the people concerned - providers and users of different kind
of internet services - with governments (both US and EU and JP etc.) on the
sideline". The problem at the moment is to find a proper mechanism for the
user representation to (re)balance the representation of the interests of
the providers of services (private industry). In case this will fail (and I
hope this won´t) then we have a new situation. Remember what Paul Twomey and
Christopher Wilkinson said in Yokohama that in case, the ALM  will
disappear, governments would step in. ICANN is still in its infant stage.
Insofar I think there is still time to implement (and develop) the orginal
concept which was the result of nearly ten years of search for a governance
mechanism (including the failed ITU model). It is in ICANNs own interest to
avoid the governmental take over which would also for an European citizen
(like you and me) only the second best solution. And it is up to the users
(like you and me) to make workable suggestions for selection and election
mechanisms which guarantee both the representation of the interests of the
Internet users in the future management of the DNS, protocols, adresses and
root servers as well as the stability of the Internet.

Hi

wolfgang