Re: [icann-europe] Re:.kids or .kids.us?

Vittorio and all,

  I think that if the truth be known or factually stated, that most of the
stakeholders are in agreement with you here.  I know our members
are, including myself.  However the current and past ICANN BoD
with  possibly two exceptions, certainly do not....  As a result,
we have a terrible mess that they have not only created, but are
propagating.

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 11:54:18 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >With regard to how the Directors got on the Board, four of them came
> >through selection mechanisms within the three ICANN Supporting
> >Organizations, one came through the recent pan-European At Large
> >election, and one is from the initial appointed set of Directors.
> >Leaving aside the issue of the debate over the initial Directors, how
> >would you change this process to improve the representativeness of
> >the other five European Directors in reflecting your views and
> >concerns?
>
> I don't share your approach. We are here to build a system of powers and
> guarantees that should be able to carry the task from now forever on.
> History tells that the bad systems that are created by good persons at their
> top, and are good only due to their enlightened presence, usually turn bad
> as soon as they leave the office. So I think that the quality of the current
> board members must not influence us in changing the current system if we
> don't trust it.
>
> Anyway, frankly speaking, I don't really care about how many European or US
> directors are in the Board. I only care about how many of them are there to
> serve in good faith the general public interest of the world, and how many
> of them are there to serve personal or lobby interests. And I, as a citizen,
> require that the system is built so that the highest number of skilled,
> competent, but also free, equilibrate, fair and open minded persons are
> elected in the Board. I am confident enough in the qualities of the Internet
> community to think that a worldwide general election would be a good way to
> raise that number, and to in turn involve and make aware every single person
> of his own right and duty to care about the future of the net and about the
> people that will determine it.
>
> To be clear, I'd prefer that my root DNS servers are ruled by the EU, rather
> than by the US, because being an EU citizen I think I can somewhat affect
> EU's policy, while I can't do the same with the US. But anyway, a worldwide
> non-profit and non-governative organization managed by people selected
> through a direct bottom-up mechanism would be much, much better than any of
> the two possibilities. So the original At Large mechanism wasn't that bad at
> all, if only ICANN had tried to make it work.
> --
> .oRo.oTo.oFo.oMo vb.
> Vittorio Bertola     <vb@vitaminic.net>    Ph. +39 011 23381220
> Vitaminic [The Music Evolution] - Vice President for Technology
>
> DISCLAIMER, PLEASE NOTE: This communication is intended only for use by the
> addressee. It may contain confidential or privileged information.
> Transmission, distribution and/or copy cannot be permitted. Please notify
> immediately the sender by replying if you are not the intended recipient.
>
> --

Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827