[atlarge-discuss] let keep cool, organized and simple

Dear all,
I am extremely confused by the situation regarding our organization, its name and its web site(s). I am also surprised at the way we cannot organize into some reasonable international simple concertance.

1. name

We are the @large. That name has history, definitions, records. We are not a specific body, we are a crowd, and we want to be a large crowd. We do not want to be ruled and directed, but helped into common understandings and actions.

To that end we need some support structures. These structures must have a name. That name is natural when we consider the countries (like france@large), by consequence we can think that icann@large will be understood as the @large people interested in ICANN.

2. structure

We have elected a panel (the name of which is naturally panel@large) and we need a small legal structure to embody it, the secretariat (secretariat@large), the accounting etc... That worldwide, all Internet and administrative concerns structure needs a name.

it can be world@large, internet@large, admin@large.

I favor world@large for the reason the "@" is already associated with Internet in the brainware and that, by nature, an incorporated structure is to carry administration. This also frees the names for more specific WGs.

3. naming plan / directory

we have a brainware built-in directory:

- structure: wold@large, admin@large, possibly internet@large
- geographic : france@large, new-york@large, etc..
- thematic: icann@lagre, isoc@large, gac@large

what people do with it, is their cup of tea. Names like:

http://workdatlarge.org
http://atlarge.ca
http://at-large.de

are good to me if it is good to them. Anyway I cannot do anything about it.

4. TLD

The idea of including TLD in legal names does not make any sense. If there is a TLD, it means it is an address. If there is no TLD, it means it is a body.

Including TLDs in names has been repetedly refused by WIPO and judges as making any difference. It is confusing and only shows that the people wearing it have not really understood what DNS is (unless the TLD has a particular added meaning, apart from "I have been sold by ISOC").

"atlarge.org" can be UDRPed by atlarge.com. A TLD is NO part of a name. The idea that a name must be on ".com", ".org", ".net" is a US centric idea, which is outdated as ".info", ".us" etc. take over.

This looks as people giving their telephone number, but not bothering about the area code. Their forename but not their name. The TLD is the area code or the name in an Internet name. Boring to memorize it? well if I tell you to send me a mail to "jefsey" and I suppose you know that I am under "@club-internet.fr" who will be boring who?

4. the atlarge ULD

an ULD (upper level domain) is an SLD used as a charter for a proposed TLD (see below). Our target as @large is to have new TLDs permitted ASAP. The first TLD we want is ".atlarge".

To support that project I have initiated though the world@wide foundation, the "@LARGE WORLD SYSTEM" (@WS project, to propose, organize and operate the ".atlarge" ULD. That project obviously uses the SLD ".atlarge.ws" for immediate support and also supports the ".atlarge" TLD as part of the ICANN/ICP-3 compliant experimental dot-root project.

This project will provide a free Internet name to every @large cell requesting it. It will be managed by the WG-@WS any of you can join. Its CIC (Community Information Center) address is http://atlarge.ws.

Upon registration an "xyz" @large cell will get the following internet names supported:
http://xyz.atlarge.ws xyz@large.ws and ---@xyz.atlarge.ws
http://xyz.atlarge and ---@xyz.atlarge
These internet names can be used as main or alias addresses.

Please see the CIC for examples.

5. Site resources

6. Aliases

It seems that a lot of misunderstandings on the @large name issue comes from a lack of command of the aliases. To understand better:

- domain names are very specific names of real properties (machines, disk space, IP addresses, server etc). They have been used in a confusing way.
- Internet uses numbers (IP addresses) and names.

Internet names are used by the DNS *and* by several other functions to get into a defined place.
- DNS relates a name to a machine
- Apache relates a name on a machine to a virtual host
- sendmail etc.. relates a name on a machine to a mailbox into a mail directory

These systems accept aliases. This means that the same place may be accessed with different names. But that information has to be provided to the corresponding tool (DNS, Apache, sendmail).

The most common use of aliases is the "http://www.name.com"; and "http://name.com";. These are two different Internet names. To be supported that names MUST have been entered as aliases (or CNAME in DNS wording) both in the DNS and in Apache.

This means that the *existing* site http://icannatlarge.com can be easily accessed as:

- http://worldatlarge.org
- http://world.atlarge.ws
- http://joanna.lane.co.uk
- http://www.jeff.williams.tk

etc... as long as the IP of the server has been declared in the DNS for these names and their www.aliases and that these names have been entered in the host configuration as aliases. Joop could have made it supported for months. He asked for me to point icannatlarge.org to icannatlarge,com but never provide the IP and the response on his ability to accept it as an alias.

7. organization management

We obviously have an organization management problem. That problem is not the problem of our group; that problem is generic. We want to relate by mail between independent people and organizations and to take joint decisions, etc. while having people submitted to very strict financial limitations irt access and traffic. This cannot simply be done unless we design an appropriate tool. I think we are a unique group of various nations, cultures and competences to specify and test such a product. We however need a few designers to program it.

>>> call for help

With all this in mind I call for help. In order to :

- share in the WG-@WS working group to manage the ".atlarge" namespace.
- share in the specification and the development of a generic tool supporting our management. I suppose it should be written in C for the server site and in Java for a local applet.

jfc