[atlarge-discuss] Membership Fees & Bylaws

Richard,

ICANN is a cartel.  Their livihood depends upon those that feed their
coffers.  Public interest groups, no matter how representative, moral,
transparent or replete with integrity cannot on their own successfully
pressure a cartel.  Try "pressuring" OPEC and see how far it gets you.  Those
that control a monopoly resource only fear those that have the muscle to
impact their revenue stream.  If icannatlarge.com ever develops a
multi-million dollar war chest and then uses those funds to legally threaten
ICANN, then perhaps you can make some progress.  ICANN is "pressured" by the
ccTLDs because they are in a position to impact the revenue stream.  You are
not.  And it won't matter how large you become if you don't start accruing
financial reserves and begin retaining a legal staff.  Your own agenda and
your own community mean absolutely nothing if you can't back it up with the
money necessary to fight your battles.

I have raised the issue of membership fees on many occasions, only to watch
you folks dodge the issue.  Perhaps you are afraid that once you start
charging a membership fee your roster of members will disappear and instead
of a thousand members you will only have less than fifty.  You might as well
start facing your financial realities now.  That means having the panel doing
the job it was elected to do.  Since the panel has already forgotten what
their task was, let me remind you...

Your job was to draft the bylaws.  Once bylaws are in place votes may be held
to deal with such matters as incorporation  and the need to elect a treasurer
and other officers.  Bylaws allow for finances to be raised, for transparency
to be preserved, for legitimacy and accountability -- none of which is
currently guaranteed to your membership in the absence of such bylaws.  Who's
in charge of getting the bylaws drafted, and when will we see a draft ready
for ratification?  This should have been your top priority, but I don't even
see it on anyone's radar screen.  Perhaps the panel thinks that picking a new
name is much more important than working on the bylaws... if so, I think the
panel has its priorities screwed up.