[atlarge-discuss] The Rule of Law

At 09:29 a.m. 22/09/2002 -0400, Walter Schmidt wrote:

   ...I usually hesitate to write  - why?

 - We have a member who has no touch with reality
 - We have a member for whom the phrase "apples & oranges" has no meaning
 - We have a member who confuses causation with correlation
 - We have a member who changes colors on a whime
 - We have a member whose words and whose actions are anything but in sync
 - We have a member from whom we would expect discussion but get none
 - We have a member for whom working as a team is not task-anything
 - We have a member who is usually contrary
 - We have a member who is an expert weaver, giving chemistry advise

 - We have a member who is in keeping with the idea, "Keep your friends
close, but keep your enemies closer." The problem is, who IS their enemy.
Your hesitation to write is well grounded, Walter.
I am now seeing an admirable loyalty of the two Polling watchdogs to Joanna who now may not want to honour the members' vote that she so hurriedly solicited.
In the face of such co-operation, I should get out of the way.

I will unsubscribe from this discussion list to avoid the temptation to engage in further reaction.

We have started our organization in March and now , end September, we have still not accomplished anything permanent via this list.
We elected a Supervisory Panel, before we agreed on a mandate for that Panel. The Panel elected a Chair, before agreeing on rules that that Chair would have to follow. The Chair appointed Poll watchdogs, before the duties of the watchdogs were spelled out. We engaged in a Poll before there were Polling Rules.

We all belong to a community, but that's about all we can say.
But this list, with its push into an (still unknown) audience inbox, lends itself to theatrics instead of construction.

Democracy, in order to accomplish something, needs Rules of Procedure. They slow things down, are boring and they are necessary.
When there are none, we remain stuck on the "control" level, personalities, friendships, ad hoc issues , tempers and suspicions.

Members like Bruce, Walter , and Joanna could very well be my good friends. I would wish so. We all have our common wishes, vision and dreams for an At Large ICANN member organization and there is much that we agree upon.

When I have any free time, I want to spend it constructively and work on procedural rule proposals. I invite those who feel likewise to join me in the Charter section of the Forum. Tasks can be divided. At least there is a foundation there on which building is possible.

It may be dull work, but someone needs to do it.

--Joop