Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: "...producing results..." ??

Jim Fleming wrote:
>> http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-panel/0211/msg00171.html
>> From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@bertola.eu.org>
>> "If we want to stop wasting time and start producing results,
>> we have to take the burden of establishing a process."
>> ===
>>
>> Would it be possible to articulate one **sample** result that you can envision being produced ?
>>
>> Would these results be documents, inventions, software, brands, >>organizations, bake sales, bake-offs, recommendations ?

I can't speak for Vittorio but I suspect a majority of icannatlarge.org members would expect things like

1 - A well-defined mission and a plan by which it can be pursued with the assistance of icannatlarge.org members;

2 - A well-expressed case for reversing the exclusion of ordinary Internet users from decision-making at ICANN and other bodies affecting Internet governance;

3 - A clear and intelligible overview of what all the "alphabet soup" means -- that is, definitions of acronyms for the various bodies involved in Internet administration and governance, plus who they are, what they do, and how they relate to one another -- such that Internet users do not need to read several thousand pages of fairly difficult material to find out what we are talking about;

4 - Translations of all of the above plus other significant documents into at least several commonly-spoken languages so that people who don't understand English can also know what is going on;

5 - A strategy for publicizing the availability of these materials and the fact that an umbrella group exists, by which people interested in these issues can stay informed and become involved in the effort if they choose to.

That list is not comprehensive but I think it hits all the main aspects of what has been discussed on the list. I can't provide a sample of any of the items because we haven't actually got that far yet. The upshot is "documents and recommendations" and organizations insofar as we carry out the plan to encourage national, local or interest-based groups to join our efforts.

As for "inventions, software, brands", these may come about if members decide that icannatlarge.org has need of them but they're not the aims of the group. As for "bake sales, bake-offs", being literal-minded I'd say bake-sales are better for local fundraising than international Internet-based activities ... unless you're talking about virtual cakes and cybercookies, and I think there are better ways even then.

Regards,

Judyth

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>