RE: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [atlarge-panel] RE: (fwd) [atlarge-panel] draft motion on membership vote

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

|  I dislike Web voting because I think we would have a much lower
|  percentage of voters than by e-mail (let alone the fact that more
|  people have e-mail access than Web access).

So do I, but I also believe in giving people choices.  No matter. I just
brought the subject up out of a desire for maximum inclusion.

|  I am working on an e-mail voting system similar to the one we borrowed
from
|  from the DNSO, and I could run the vote if necessary, or I could give the
|  software to any trustee to run the vote. So it's not a matter of
|  "staffing" - it's more a question of what do we want to do.

As Jeff pointed out, we need to ensure the integrety of the vote.  I have no
problem with Vittorio setting up the vote mechanism on our mail system.
IMO, running it (i.e. getting the vote out to the membership) is not the
issue, it's counting what comes back. I like the way we ran the last vote
count, wih two members (myself and Walts!) stepping up to serve as
watchdogs.  They and the Panel Chair got all the returned votes directly
from the mail system and all three had to validate the count independently.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info