Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [atlarge-panel] RE: (fwd) [atlarge-panel] draft motion on membership vote

Bruce and all,

bruce@barelyadequate.info wrote:

> Jeff Williams wrote:
>
> |    In brief, here are most of the problems that were reported on the
> |  DNSO GA E-Mail VOting system:
>
> Thanls for the info Jeff!  This is good cautionary history we can use to
> avoid similar failures.
>
> Note that these aren't a failure in the system per se, but rather a failure
> to manage it properly.  Here's my thoughts on how we can avoid similar
> "integrety" failures in our voting system:

  This is not an accurate statement here Bruce.  So pardon me for
being so blunt in again pointing it out.  ( More below as to why Bruce
comment above is not accurate ).

> |  1.) Disallowing DNSO members or participants from registering to
> |       actually receive a ballot because of their E-Mail addresses.
>
> First, we need to make sure our system supports mail traffic to/from
> alternative roots.

  The problem was not associated only to e-mail addresses that
were of a inclusive root system TLD.  I would suggest an
entragal review of the DNSO GA archives of the time frames
in which these inconsistencies and problem occurred would be
in order?

> We also need to make a point to ensure every registered member gets a
> ballot.  This is probably the easiest of our tasks: I recommend that we
> solicit two e-mail addresses from our members if they have one, a primary
> and a back-up.  Many folks these days have at least two addresses, one at
> home and one at work.  The standby address could be used if the message is
> rejected for some reason.  Rejected messages could be automatically routed
> to volunteer members who would resend them to the alternate address.

  This comment reminds me again of one of the problems with the
DNSO GA E-mail based voting system as to it's integrity with respect
to multiple E-mail address leading to multiple votes from a single
individual causing the results to be skewed and thereby inaccurate.
We must avoid, not encourage multiple E-Mail addresses to be
submitted for Ballot exception. 1 E-Mail, 1 person, 1 vote, must
be central to any E-mail based voting system to work with
confidence of the members and integrity of the process..

> |  2.) Multiple ballots sent to the same E-Mail address but were
> |        seperate/unique ballots.   This is a particular problem as those
> |        separate ballots can than be sent to non-members to vote
> |        with as they are separate ballot with different and unique
> |        ballot numbers on them.  This is how the votes can get stacked
> |        or double counted.
>
> In a normal automated e-mail system, I question whether multiple messages
> could be *accidentally* sent out.

 Well they could. If you wish, I would be happy to demonstrate how
that can occur with IP swapping technique, amongst other techniques
that have been used and are fairly well documented especially using
Automated E-Mail addresses.  This can also be done manually as
well by the E-Mail address actual owner or other than the E-Mail
owner.

>  Someone would have to do it
> intentionally.  That should be one of the watchdogs' responsibilities: to
> weed out duplicate votes.
>
> |  3.) Timely sending of the Ballots.
>
> This would be easily avoided by sending an alerting message to the
> membership and via he Discuss List when the vote goes out.  Different
> persons could do this independently.  The alerting message would include
> instructions for reporting non-receipt of a ballot.
>
> |  4.) Format of E-Mail ballots was a bit confusing at first glance
> |          leading to Inadvertent mistakes.  Similar to the butterfly
> |        ballots in Florida...
>
> The Panel should be charged with ensuring the format of the ballot is *not*
> confusing.  The Panel is diverse enough to ensure that cultural differences
> that may lead to confusion are weeded out prior to the vote.

  Agreed that this should be done.  But not so easy to get done.
Chicken and egg problem here...

> |  5.) Selection of the Watchdogs.  This was and always will be the
> |       biggest problem.  This should be done by non-members to ensure
> |       integrity.
>
> Most assuredly!  To avoid any appearance of impropriety, Panel members must
> *never* serve as watchdogs.  They should be volunteer members. (Hint: it
> might be a good idea if they stepped up soon!).  :)

  Bad idea.  Members as watchdogs, such as the DNSO GA did, can
be easily influenced or pressured in various ways.  By Independent, I
meant NON-MEMBERS must serve as watchdogs...