Re: [atlarge-discuss] The Point of this

Hello, all,

I would tend to agree with Jefsey that we may be at (or may even
have passed) a crucial decision-point and it's essential that we
get the members' input soon on the issues previosuly outlined.

One thing worth remembering is that although incorporation, etc. is
essential to formal organizations which want to undertake any kind
of fundraising, it is *not* essential in order to act action. For
that, all one needs is an agreement amongst the participants on
what should be done how. That's really the foremost question since
without an answer, the incorporated organization would be in no
better position to do anything than our unincorporated group.

The "let's use a shelf corporation and figure it all out later"
approach is a quick-and-dirty process commonly used by businesses
which want to make money but aren't sure by what means they will
do so. It has its place in certain national economies but I
don't see how it can solve any of our real problems. Even on
the fundraising front, it's not sufficient -- the Internal
Revenue Service in the United States is not in the habit of
classifying as legitimate charities organizations which can't
even articulate what charitable/educational activities it
intends to perform.

Money may be important but in the non-profit world it must be
"money for ..." not just "money we can spend as we please".
If this group had a million American dollars in the bank right
now, it would be no clearer on what it is doing and no more
likely to to achieve anything but the prosperity of those who
could get their hands into the till. Personally, I'm *glad*
we're not out there fundraising from the public since we have
not the slightest means of ensuring any funds would be spent
responsibly in furtherance of an agreed-upon set of aims.

As individuals or informal coalitions, we can often do as
much as formal organizations can -- witness the peace movement,
the anti-globalization protests, etc. which are made up of
people who retain individual freedom of action but come
together as needed to further a common goal. Most of the time,
groups within these movements have no funds to speak of and
wouldn't qualify as charities under tax systems -- people pay
their own way or pass the hat or do what they can with just
volunteer labour.

There is nothing to stop those of us who are interested from
writing individual presentations on DNS issues or setting up
regional organizations to function as RALOs or whatever.
What is stopping such meaningful activities is our own lack
of clarity on priorities and our own unwillingness to get
organized so that the whole of the membership can be invited
to participate in any chosen initiative(s). In my opinion, if
we did something as simple as vote on a mission we all can
live with and set ourselves up to send e-mail bulletins to
our members describing upcoming events and explaining how
they can participate or submit proposals, we'd cross that
Rubicon and start making some real impact on the world
outside this list!

Regards,

Judyth

---

At 08:55 +0100 2003/01/23, J-F C. (Jefsey)  Morfin wrote:
>Dear James,
>the point is "do we have to cross the Rubicon". Final decision about
>the
>structure and organization of this group is by any of us who decides
>incorporate or structure a specific action. Joop as a polling booth or
>the
>forum, myslef as atlarge/ws, yourself in structuring some action or
>>another.
>I think itis necessary. But there is a risk that some of us are no
>mature
>enough and instead of supporting a mushroning of complementary
>initiatives,
>start killing what should be an "@large spring".
>
>Question is: are they ready, or have we crossed the time they were
>ready?

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>