Re: [atlarge-discuss] Thawte certificate... WoT

Dear Jefsey:

The idea of using a credit card or check to authenticate membership identity
is a good one.  It need only be for a small amount, pennies even.  When one
applies for a PayPal account, PayPal sends two payments of a few pennies
each to one's bank account to verify its authenticity.  The new client
reports the amount deposited, and this is accepted as proof of identity.
Surely this is at least as good as the complex and expensive methodology
used by Thawte.

The value of the Thawte certificate is that it can be used many times once
it is established. The ID check that we are asking for is only good for our
purposes.  On the other hand, why don't we list a number of acceptable ID
checks that would include a Thawte certificate, a credit card payment of a
small sum, a check for the same amount, a PayPal payment, or any other
similar system?

All we are asking is for proof that the named person exists.  It is not fool
proof and it certainly does not preclude a person having multiple accounts
in different names (or multiple Thawte certificates for that matter) but it
should be close enough for our needs.

Ron