RE: [atlarge-discuss] Watchdog members

Joanna Lane wrote:

| so far as I'm
| aware, none of the Polling Committee - Jefsey, Bruce or Eric
| - have any
| prior experience as an ICANN Watchdog. No doubt they will
| correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong!  :)  If you'll remember, I was a watchdog for the last
election.  And while the mechanisms are different (they have to be!  We're
using a different system), the execution is very similar  Jefsey, I and the
Watchdogs are all receiving the same message traffic.  The only difference
is that, rather than the Watchdogs posting the Results, Jefsey is.  But they
are validating the results, and would surely be quick to point out any
inaccuracies in his report.

| I believe one of the mistakes being made in this election,
| is not forwarding the ballots in their raw state to,
| Watchdogs instead stripping them of any ID.

The ID is not stripped, only the name.  The voter's unique Voter ID is being
preserved, and that is what the watchdogs are cueing on to detect
duplicates.  There is no need for them to know the name.  All they need to
know is Voter ID to ensure it's a unique vote.  This preserves the anonymity
of the voter, while ensuring the uniqueness of the votes.

| This severely restricts the watchdog's ability to double
| check the count, or checking ballots against the valid
| membership list, and so on.

A Voter ID was assigned to every member on the list, even those from whom we
later received undelivered mail.  And the Voter ID allows them to check the
count.  Jefsey and I have the list that shows who is assigned which Voter
ID.  But, to preseve voters' privacy, there should be no need for the
Watchdogs to know actual names.  Nor have I taken the trouble to compare
returned viotes with names to see who voted for whom, again to preseve
voters' privacy.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon
bruce@barelyadequate.info