RE: [atlarge-discuss] LET'S GET GOING: Determining a Chair forthePanel

> But there you go... we decided on this name... and I believe in democracy
>
> Richard H

Not true. More people voted for other choices. I take responsibility and
apologise. As Chair, I made a bad decision by deciding to run the vote using
"instant run off", where people had 4 choices and numbered them in priority
1,2,3,4 against the 4 options. I thought it was important to have a clear
winner, and was concerned that with only one vote and 4 options, the vote
would be split and no clear decision emerge. Most people just voted their
first choice, or first and second choice and left the rest blank, or put
ICANNATlarge 3rd. In the first round, it was a close call between two
strongest contenders and neither were ICANNAtlarge, so the name with the
least votes was eliminated and people who had voted for that name, we then
counted their second choice and so on. It went all the way to the fourth
round before a simple majority was established for ICANNatlarge, but you
have to appreciate that most votes had been eliminated, or were a member's
3rd or 4th choice by that stage. The name won by default.

So I don't think you can say it was the democratic will of the membership,
or that we are stuck with it when more members voted for other names than
ICANNatlarge. What is clear, is that if we just took the number 1 one vote
and done a straight count, ICANNatlarge would not have won.

Joanna