Re: [atlarge-discuss] Membership Committee

Dear James

I won't develop a thread on this but:

You find the comment "America bombs Moslems" offensive. Why is a statement
of fact offensive?

"America bombing Moslems" was what was offensive.... to most people in
Europe, and certainly to the people who were killed.

Current civilian deaths recorded in the UK/American attack: 5000 - that was
too many, and does nothing to engender trust in the Arab world or reduce the
threat of terrorism. A shame the US media didn't focus as much attention on
each of those children and women and men as they did on *one* American
soldier mysteriously 'rescued' from her hospital (who will undoubtedly
feature in a sanitised Hollywood film - excuse me while I puke up over the
facile sentimentality of that 'spin'). The attack took place in defiance of
the international community. The French were heroic in their principled
stand - I have tremendous admiration for them. The people of Europe were
massively in their favour as the opinion polls showed. But I accept that you
may take a different view of history (as presented by the learned Fox News)
and you're entitled to.

Moreover, reviewing my mail, I think the remark I made was unnecessary in
the context of my mail to Dan, and so although I do'nt think it was
inaccurate (Sorry, but Americans *DID* bomb Moslems), I apologise for making
it in that context.

We all share the net and we fight for Internet Users right to use it : for
example, two of my sites - www.iraqwar.co.uk for my local website (and
please note, Dan Tobias, the misuse again of .co.uk!); and a critical site I
am just beginning, to highlight the dangerous imperialistic ambitions of
some Americans : www.newamericancentury.info about the ludicrous "Campaign
for a New American Century"... sorry but I prefer a Century for the World.

On the subject of the word "shambolic", I politely suggest it is a little
ambitious for an American to lecture an Englishman (and particularly an
English teacher) on English. We've been using it here for 1600 years!
Unfortunately if Americans don't like English they'll have to find a
language of their own - English is English!

I assure you that in English English there is indeed such a word as
"shambolic".
Oxford English Dictionary (that is *THE* dictionary): adjective: chaotic,
unorganised

Interestingly the word shambles (from Anglo-Saxon 'scamul') can also be used
to mean: a scene of carnage (like the Market Place in Baghdad).

Now... let's try not to fall out over our transatlantic cultural divide,
when we have fine things in common to work together for here... you keep
Disney, I'll keep Shakespeare, and I trust we can get on swell!

yrs

Richard Henderson
(hoping this is the end of this thread!)