[atlarge-discuss] Joey Borda/Bordo Identity & Privacy Concerns [was Re: [atlarge-discuss] Provisional Membership Committee]

At 02:35 AM 6/3/2003 -0400, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
I received $1 from Mary M. Bordo a verified Paypal member on behalf of Joe Borda/Bordo. Joey explained that Mary M. Bordo is his mother and that they live together, and that he does not have a credit card or bank account drawn under his own name, but rather goes through his mother as a financial proxy, if you will. Her address is Paypal confirmed and the street and zip code matches the one on Joe Borda's driver identitification as posted in a .pdf at http://www.icannatlarge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=250 I have verified the postal code via the USPS.
I will use this post to discuss what I believe ought to be the issue of reasonable privacy concerns -- and perhaps life and death concerns for those living under oppressive conditions -- for all of us regarding any identity verification process and its potential public disclosure to the potential harm of those examined.

Ultimately, the membership must trust those it authorizes to conduct the process, and accept its “verdict” WITHOUT the disclosure of that which it used to reach its conclusion and is arguably private.

There is no PERFECT mechanism for verification or verification process. Hence, IMO, some BODY within our organization will still have to exercise judgement in the acceptance and verification of credentials, whatever they may be. Some credentials and other information will be more persuasive than others, but cumulatively will lead to a verification conclusion, or not.

So long as such a body preserves to itself, in trust and confidence for the membership, the materials and thought processes it uses to reach its conclusions then we will be well served.

I believe this body, certainly at least its chair, must be elected by the members and the body itself be entirely separate from the panel (or what may ultimately become a board of directors for legal purposes).

Some may believe that I am stretching it a bit to make a claim of a “life and death concern while living under oppressive conditions.” However, even in these days in the USA (of all places) it is still not safe to live as an otherwise openly gay man, as it was not in 1967 when a group of young men took great fun in entrapping and beating up a young, seemingly defenseless, faggot.

Add to this two real-world power-politics persecutions I’ve experienced at the hands of desperate political professionals.

Whether it may seem reasonable or not to others I need what bits of anonymity about where I am and who I am I can hang onto. No longer rosy-cheeked and naïve I live in the secure knowledge that my existence at the hands of others is not secure.

At the same time my inclination is always toward ever-greater self-disclosure, as anyone who comes to know me personally or who reads my posts here over time or my profile (http://www.icannatlarge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=250) will quickly recognize.

In my way, mostly quiet (arguable I suppose) yet talkative, I am happy with and proud of who I am and easily share myself.

I think I am in a unique, if paradoxical, certainly ironic, position to understand and resonate to privacy issues.

That I believe so wholeheartedly in our attempted organization and its potential for our own and world good leads ME now to further erode some more of my privacy.

When I created the PayPal account it WAS NOT for the purpose of certifying my identification to anyone. It WAS for the purpose of expediting on-line payments for products and services.

Therefore I took the most expeditious route possible, not one that was meant to prove that Joey Borda/Bordo is who he says he is, either in this venue or any other. Hence I submitted to PayPal what was necessary, including having the account set up in my mother’s name, Mary M. Bordo, as at that time I was using her credit card and my name had not yet been added to it.

Subsequent submittal of checking account information to PayPal added to that seeming “constructive fiction” as my mother’s name is the lead name (mine is in the second position) on the joint account and checks. It is a trust account for ME, out of which I make my expenditures.

This all bears on financial information which ideally would remain private and confidential -- it alone has potential to harm me -- in a trusted committee, were it in fact necessary to flesh out my identity in the first place.

However, I could not obtain a phone number for either the name Bordo or Borda from the phone directory in Henry VA. (which may just mean it's not listed).
Speaking to this will be great fun! I could have provided this information earlier had I been asked. Martha Gottlieb and Jeff Holt already have it.

Yes, indeed my (our) phone number is not listed, and furthermore is not in any of our names! :) It’s not easy to have privacy, and freedom from sales and other harassing calls. And we get to pay $2/month additional for the privilege. Funny, though, how the number gets out and the calls come anyway.

The wonderful thing is I recently discovered phone answering software (SoftCall; really cheap) that now screens ALL our calls, answers those showing a caller ID (in an Aussie-accented voice & style no less), announces family and friends, and automatically diverts non-Caller ID’d calls to the phone company’s message that the number is no longer in service. :) Don’t you just love it?!

So I now feel free to publish my number: 1-540-489-5011

Just remember that should you call, if you block your caller ID or for some phone system reason (e.g. service not available from your area) it does not reach us, you will not get through! This is confusing the hell out of automated calling systems, whether from desirable callers or not.

Unlike me, my PC is tireless and nothing gets by it. :)

If your caller ID is received you’ll be invited to leave a message. Do so. If I am present at my PC at the time and recognize you in some way I will likely answer even before you complete your message. If not, I’ll return your call after 9:00 PM EDT USA or on Saturday or Sunday during our free cell phone minutes (calls to our cell phone are not answered), assuming your phone is within the USA. Otherwise, I will use “1010987” long distance calling within USA, Canada and Western Europe.

I am reasonably satisfied with his identity and so I have updated his status at: http://atlarge.ca/membership.html

--Sotiris Sotiropoulos
Amen.

/s/ Joey Borda/Bordo

Tuesday, June 03, 2003 * 11:56 AM EDT USA

starwalker@gay.com
starwalker@starwalker.org
Yahoo! Messenger ID: starwalkeratgaydotcom