De: J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin [mailto:jefsey@club-internet.fr]
Enviado el: Martes, 03 de Junio de 2003 12:39 p.m.
Para: Atlarge Discuss List
Asunto: [atlarge-discuss] POLLING COMMITTEE: Reporting Audited Results

Dear Polling Committee Members,
Dear Watchdogs,
Dear Members,

The raw data of the vote have been zipped and encrypted under the file
sealed.zip copied to the Polling Committee Members. The voting data have
been made at the entire disposal of the Membership. They had been made
available to the Watchdogs on a daily basis. The Watchdogs also had
received before the vote (a few hours late due to a typo of mine) the list
of the valid IDs to verify the list given to the Membership after the vote.
The list of the Members with their VID and mail names has been provided to
the Polling Committee Members before the beginning of the vote. The names
of the 216 Members having voted and the list of their 216 VIDs have been
separately provided to everyone.

There has been no opposition from voters. The watch.c program developed to
filter the data and to report on the provisional results has been copied to
all. The visual count by the watchdogs and the community shown a limited
difference which has been fully explained by:
- the behavior of one voter using "~" as a response that I first took for a
keyboard error.
- the necessity of a visual correction of some HTML source
- the decision to accept "X" as "Y" as a response to the question, a
response made by a significant number of Members.

The results are now fully displayed at http://icannatlarge.org/results.htm .
Every one I know of having reported an analysis of the data agree with them.
I will report it to each members.

The only request I am aware of is to see distributed a list of all the
members. This is to be decided by the Polling Committee: I will not vote
it, but I will not oppose. It brings nothing to the vote and will only
serve to compare the list with the icannatlarge.com site. The list which
has been used is the list obtained from Vittorio Bertola with the manual
addition of Members like Rod Dixon having registered after his departure.

The Membership committee should simply decide there is a Membership mailing
list (like on the DNSO). Mailman does not permit a good membership
management: the solution seems to be a Mailman limited project rather than
relying on a third party proprietary solution.

This vote has shown that it was possible to run a professional election in
a very hostile activist environment. The simplification and the security
resulting from the adopted method has obviously not been fully understood
by many yet. Nor its transparency.

To the cost of relying on one non key person (me) accomplishing what could
be automated, it has shown that it is possible to run an automated election
of magnitude (27 candidates, 100 questions, 1000 Members, 216 voters) with
a very limited GNU development on a system like Postfix for example.

In storing the data on a third party machine with some daily, hourly or
even mail per mail, reports to verify the data integrity, it is possible to
remove the Watchdogs and to leave an entire control to all the Members,
provided the registration to the icannatlarge.org is the same as
registering on its voting mailing list. The vote can be organized both on a
"mark and mail" and "click and mail" basis. This type vote scales without
problem and can accompany the development of this community, even to
million members (it simply uses e-mail and mailing lists known to support
that kind of figures).

The key result of this vote appears to be a large number of new blood (that
will still increase with the announced departure of Joop Teersntra three
months from now) and the strong disapproval of the positions of the
candidate they placed ... in first position. The winner obtains nearly 46%
and his main propositions (5 persons Panel, new elections 3 months from
now, parties, an @large as mainly a domain registrants) are among the few
which are opposed (with some of my personal ones).

The Panel seems to benefit from an homogeneous trust, 8 members being
packed in less than 4% difference, 9 in less than 6%.

The most favored positions by the Members are:
- every important motions to be voted by the Members (53% of the voters)
- maintain relations with ICANN
- one year stability
- an organization by specialized committees

This terminates my term as a Panelist. I will remain a Polling Committee
Member until replaced by the decision of the new Panel to establish an
elected Polling Committee.

Due to the violence of some personal attacks during this vote, I took a
Police Justice measure to prepare a Justice action. I did not go further
because I received the apologies of my attacker, but I will certainly go
further should some find there a way to desatibilize this community or to
attack me. More positively this lead me to consider and engage an effort
for "a polite net" I wish every @large might join and benefit from, for

I also want to thank all those who contributed to the success of this vote:
- Bruce and Eric
- Judyth who permitted it
- Joey for solid support
- Thomas stubborn help until we agreed on figures
- Abel and Dabiel support for reviewing watch.c and providing a double
access to the user data.

Enjoy the reading of the results.
Very interesting. I only hope the Panelists will be permitted to respect
the wishes of the Members.
jfc

---