Re: [atlarge-discuss] REPROT ON ELECTION AND RESULTS

James S. Tyre wrote:>
(B>
(B> It is quite another to require members to vote or risk suspension.  Using
(B> the most recent U.S. Presidential election as but one example, suppose I
(B> declined to vote for Bush, Gore, Nader or any other third party candidate
(B> because I was not comfortable voting in favor of any.  Should I lose my
(B> right to vote in subsequent elections because I made a conscious choice not
(B> to vote for any rather than to vote for the least repugnant?
(B
(BJames, a Panelist should always be allowed an "abstain" or "present" voting
(Boption if he/she honestly lacks the knowledge to vote wisely on a particular
(Bissue (and *must* do so in case of a conflict of interest).  This is the part
(Bof the discussion you missed.
(B
(BSuspension would result from a Panelist simply failing to pay attention and
(Bnot registering even a "present" or "abstain" vote.
(B
(B