Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: Short report on the NC meeting Oct 19

Thomas and all,
At 13:08 20/10/00, Thomas wrote:
>Jefsey Morfin forwarded an anonymous message from some obscure
>source:

Sorry I did not named this "obscure source". It is Philip Sheppard,
DNSO/BC. The first line shown that this mail is internal to BC.

> >>Short report to the BC on highlights of the Names Council
> >>teleconference yesterday (Oct 19) 2000. The official report will
> >>be made available as usual shortly.
> >>6. Katoh and Nii - the new at large directors will attend the NC
> >>meeting in LA as NC members and take their ICANN Board positions
> >>at the END of the LA ICANN Board meeting.
>
> > What does that mean?
>
>It means that you should really read the bylaws.
>
>Article II, section 2:
>         Five persons shall be nominated and selected by no later
>         than November 1, 2000, to become "At Large" Directors
>         according to a selection plan adopted by the Board.  They
>         shall be seated at the CONCLUSION of the Annual Meeting of
>         the Corporation in 2000.
>(Emphasis is mine.)

I am sorry, Thomas, but what I read in the by laws seems to me
perfectly clear and acceptable, and conform to what is done in
every Annual Meeting. And totally in disagreement with what
Philip Sheppard writes and what you seem to accept.

There are two different Meetings.

- the Annual Meeting of the Corporation in 2000 to be held in
   MDR. Nov. 13-14 with General Assembly on the 14th 0900-1200.

   It is usual that the General Assembly is opened and managed
   by the existing BoD and that at the conclusion of the Meeting
   the Assembly welcomes the Directors elect and applauds the
   leaving Directors.

- a Board Meeting on Nov 16th, 0900-1500.

The by laws are very clear. the @large directors shall be seated
on Nov 15th around 11:30.

Philip Sheppard reports from the NC meeting that Nil and Katoh
will not leave their sit before Nov 16th 1500.

When you know that the Nov 15th meeting will deal with subjects
like the new gTLD assignments, the @large constituency, the
BC budget for a Secretariat we want to see in Europe, etc...
and that we want to see the possible new by laws change about
the 4 @large to be elected directors as them to be elected ASAP
by the whole @large constituency and not to be selected by the
NomCom in 2002 as this may be considered.

... you should agree that we probably face an ICANNesk move
and that a concerted action is of season.
Jefsey