[icann-europe] Re: [ecdiscuss] Re: [icann-europe] European Root Server System

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:33:50 +0100, you wrote:

>Multiple rootservers, even with a high level of "synchronisation", gives
>way to the possibility that a domain may be registered to two separate
>users. This is the big big big golden rule in domain registration - don't
>ever let a domain be registered to more than one person/org!

This is not necessarily a problem - don't confuse root servers with
registries: you would still have one worldwide registry for each gTLD,
and unique registrations - simply it would be pointed to by different
root server systems (unless the two root server systems actually
*wanted* to point to different registries and different registrants
for the same domain, but then there would definitely be a valid reason
to do so).

So, to clarify again: I hope that there won't be the need to actually
have more than one root server system, and certainly I wouldn't have
considered this option if we had an open and international ICANN.
However, if I were the EU, rather than being potentially hostage of a
root server system controlled by the US and by a malfunctioning and
US-centric ICANN, I'd rather set up my own one. Then, I'd do all my
best to agree policies with them, and not to break the net - but at
least, I'd have the ultimate weapon of doing so, and I would be able
to negotiate on a fair level, rather than from a position of weakness.

And are you sure you can afford the risk that at the next trade war
between the US and the EU, for example, the US decides to retaliate by
blocking the creation of the .eu domain? Or that an US court can rule
about what all the root servers but three should do or not do? Would
you be happy if the US Congress decides for you (as a proposed bill
currently under discussion) that a .xxx domain has to be immediately
created and all registrations for porn sites under .com/net/org are
then deleted?

This, I agree, might be a sad view, if compared to the hope (which I
do have) for a united network serving a united world, but in the end
the world is still made of nations and national interests, especially
now that the Internet has become a vital part of any nation's wealth
and security; on the other hand, the ICANN-US system has openly showed
that it does not care to consider the needs of the individual users
and communities outside US, nor those of the ccTLDs (which should just
"pay and obey") - it did not even start to translate its official
documents in languages other than English.

Perhaps the project of an European root system, even if still on
paper, could help in fostering the creation of a better replacement
for ICANN, given that years of struggle and complaints didn't get to
anything more than being laughed at.
--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
Vittorio Bertola     <vb@vitaminic.net>    Ph. +39 011 23381220

DISCLAIMER, PLEASE NOTE: This communication is intended only for use by the
addressee. It may contain confidential or privileged information.
Transmission, distribution and/or copy cannot be permitted. Please notify
immediately the sender by replying if you are not the intended recipient.