[atlarge-discuss] Re: Elections

Help! Let's work together for a democratic internet!

My preference is:

1. Call for immediate nominations (for 1 year tenure)

2. Set an election date which falls within the expiry of our mandate (eg by July 27th)

3. Get Elisabeth Porteneuve to help us carry out election (if she agrees)

4. Consider other processes IF they can produce an election by July 27th

I fully understand the arguments for being "flexible" about dates in order
to get a good outcome, but I would prefer to use the framework set up for
the Interim Panel election, and mandate a new elected (1 year) committee
to deal with development of organisation (rather than try to develop all the
bylaws in advance, thereby delaying the elections still further).

It would be better to develop our organisation the other side of elections,
because then we remove time pressures, and allow a longer period to propose
ideas, afford full consultation with membership, and do things without pressure.

Can we also "cool" the rhetoric, and work as friends (friends don't always
agree) and remember that we are working for millions of people all over our world
so they can have a real say in how their internet is administered, and gain
a ruling democratic representation in the administration of the DNS.

I think all the in-your-face froth of Bucharest is really a distraction because, as I
have said before, we need to concern ourselves with OUR agenda, not ICANN's,
so let's just get on with building our own organisation and making it so big that it
cannot be marginalised.

Forget Bucharest. That's someone else's agenda. It's peripheral.

I vote for nominations and an early election.

Richard Henderson