Re: [atlarge-discuss] Point of personal privilege -- I'm being disenfranchised by glitches in the system!

Norbert and all stakeholders or other interested parties,

nhklein@gmx.net wrote:

> > At 11:48 PM 03/08/02 -0400, espresso@e-scape.net wrote:
> >
> > >However, I went through my archives and dug out the original messages
> > from
> > >ICANN which confirm my status as a member, assuming that these would be
> > >sufficient for the Powers That Be to look into the matter and perhaps
> > even
> > >send me a ballot in time.
> >
> > That means you are a member (or at least could vote)
> > in the ICANN at Large elections which elected Karl
> > Auerbach and others. That does not mean that you are
> > automatically a member of the icannatlarge.com which
> > was begun subsequent to the subsequent Atlarge study.
> > Although that is an interesting point.
>
> I think this is not only an interesting, but also a very important point:
> probably a point where lagalities and common sense are in conflict.

  This is of course a very good point indeed.  Such independent At-Large
efforts should distinguish themselves in their Web Site and name
from ICANN as part of the Domain Name and Website if at
all possible.

> Is it not natural that a person who registered for the only open "ICANN
> At-Large" elections thinks to be also authorized to vote in the "icannatlarge"
> elections - in our organization that was created to take up the history which
> the ICANN board wants to cut?

  Yes it is...

> If we have any common sense flexibility (concerned with content and not only
> with formalities) in our organization, I would hope that the election
> watchdogs and the people elected ad interim could find a solution.

  Agreed.  A very different DN should be selected or at least one
that is fairly easily distinguishable from anything with the string
"ICANN" as part of the DN for such an At-Large effort.

  However sense the defuncting of ICANNMEMBERS.ORG
by Stuart Lynn and his "Plan" the very string "ICANN" has
become more and more disreputable as a result.  Now given
Karls court victory and the Judges very scathing remarks
in that court decision, ICANN has heaped upon itself
significant ill repute of the first magnitude.

> Or at least an apology that we did not think about the implications of the
> membership in the "ICANN At-Large" for the membership in our "ICANNATLARGE."

  Well actually some of us, myself included did think of such.  But at the time
those that rushed answer Stuarts now to be understood Ruse of a possible
AT-Large again for ICANN, the use of the string "ICANN" as part of
the domain name to enhance that possibility was considered attractive,
and legitimately so, to an extent..

  Perhaps now though, it would be best for this and other webmaster
problems, it would be wise to change the DN for this effort as
a distinguishing aspect and for purposes of ease of identification
for potential new members as well as shedding the ill repute
that the string "ICANN" has acquired for many and varied,
yet substantial reasons...

> Norbert
>
> --
> Norbert Klein
> Open Forum of Cambodia: www.forum.org.kh
>
> Support democratic control of the Internet!
> Go to http://www.icannatlarge.com and Join ICANN At Large!

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827