Re: [atlarge-discuss] Point of personal privilege -- I'm being disenfranchised by glitches in the system!

Sunday, August 04, 2002 * 3:48 PM EDT USA

At 08:28 AM 8/4/2002, Izumi AIZU wrote:
Dear all,

I kind of agree with Norbert that there could have been some solution for Judyth.

But given the tight deadline situation it seems there is little room for pragmatic
solution to give her a ballot.
I walked down the same primrose path that Judyth reported in her post and appeal, with the same result.

My membership number was 288446 (July 23, 2000) -- the rest is now irrelevant.

However, unlike Judyth who in one of her posts said she was “mystified,” I see no mysteries at all and am just plain pissed. And you are never going to see me substitute for anything I have to say with “@#$%^*!”

I was quite annoyed when the ICANN staff "destroyed" all the record
of the first election right after they confirmed the result. It did ignore so
many people's good intentions, and resulted in a waste of resources.
That led the debate about the cost of running another election, and
the fee issues since the first round was free of charge which I advocated
very strongly.
Izumi, you are far too diplomatic in your expression regarding ICAAN staff’s destruction of the records. I never cease to be amazed how wonderfully “stupid” staff can be in insuring that their superior’s have plausible deniability.

But that is not recoverable once trashed. A big mistake indeed.
Mistake?! Surely you can’t be that naïve? Mistake my ass! It was the cold, calculated, and knowing destruction of at-large! Just look at what we have been reduced to. It's embarrassingly tragic.

As one of the members of the interim panel, I would like to express my
personal apology to her - yes, we should have taken this kind of confusion
into consideration before organizing the election and made clear how
people could become eligible to vote.

So sorry about this,

izumi
With guarded reluctance I will accept your apology to Judyth as my own. It is not my intention to “beat” you up.

Presently I do not see much hope for at-large out of this body. It appears hyper focused on form and rules to the distraction from and detraction of purpose, content and action.

This rule bound election is but one shining example. I ask you, which was more important: having voter registration cut-off or having interested people vote?

/s/ Joe Bordo
starwalker@starwalker.org