Re: [atlarge-discuss] Supporting Organization

Richard,

Richard Henderson wrote:

> Jeff
>
> I agree they say lots of thoughtful and thought-provoking things. I'm
> certainly not trying to dismiss them. Far from it. I believe our
> organisation should try to form a kind of COALITION with this group and many
> others.

  Ok this is one method, yes.  My only problem with such coalitions
is based on personal experience mostly.  They usually break down
over some length of time and at that point or just prior to that point,
thing start to get a little messy.

> The At Large movement is a multiplicity. You cannot really contain
> it. I suppose I'm saying something similar to Danny's SO idea. I'd just
> rather form the coalition clearly outside ICANN and make our assertions from
> there. (I nearly called it "negotiate" - but I don't think you should
> negotiate with people you cannot trust  - as eric often says the same thing
> about people like Hitler - I think you demand from a position of strength.
> What the At Large movement needs is to organise, form coalitions, and become
> so strong that Denise's little effort becomes isolated and marginalised and
> seen for what it is... not a noble movement of millions of people, but a
> tawdry attempt to control from "top down" as a management trick to
> perpetuate a clique in power.)

  It is true that negotiating with and fools is pure folly.  That is
something I had said some 3 years ago now that Eric is just
repeating, but I am glad he is repeating it.  You are rather new
on the scene really, as is Eric, though he predates you.  We
cannot deny the history of ICANN, the Internet, and its
revolution...

> But you are right : these people at CECUA should be taken seriously. So
> should we. I think it is still the truth that our organisation - the
> evolution of the original "engaged" At Large - are the group most focussed
> on the ICANN power struggle and the identity/interface of the At Large. When
> ICANN effectively kicked us out as a viably represented constituency, we
> went our side. We "ORGANISED" to use Denise's words. We "SELF-CREATED" to
> use her words. And we continue to "self-create".

  True enough and frankly this is quite obvious as well.  Try to
understand
also that Denise and Esthers ALOC/ALAC has not intention of
individual stakeholder/user representation or even a vote to elect
it's representatives.

> Obviously we must self-create in liaison with similar organisations : united
> we stand, divided we fall.

  Of course...