Re: [atlarge-discuss] Report to the ERC from the ALAC-AG (2/2)

Paul and all stakeholders or other interested parties and members,

Paul wrote:

> Joop Teernstra wrote:

> >> I am a minority in more ways than I care to share.
>  >> But I'll take my chances.  One [wo]man, one vote.
> >

> > It is the only legitimate way.
>  > Everything else is prone to abuse.
>
> It's not as simple as that. All systems are open to abuse.

  Very true.

> The abuse that one [wo]man one vote can generate is the
> persistent overruling (or oppression) of a minority interest.
> That's why governments have constitutions and checks and
> balances.

  Exactly right here as well...

> Even at the heart of the US government, there is a "regional"
> provision that gives each state equal representation (still
> using one person one vote). You can debate whether that's
> a good system. But it's fairly democratic.

  I believe you are referring to "States Rights" here?  If so,
yes it is very democratic.  And indeed you can debate,
and it has been hotly debated from time to time as to
whether it is a good system or not.  None the less
it remains...